Some children may benefit from the movement of the horse during speech-language therapy sessions.
Who Benefits from Hippotherapy?
Hippotherapy is a treatment strategy that uses equine movement to impact the child's system organization. The therapist uses the horse's movement to promote variations in the child's movement-- in order to provide natural prompts for speech and language.
Hippotherapy can be an especially beneficial treatment strategy for the following areas:
- Breath Support for Speech Production
- Speech Rate, Cadence/Rhythm, and Clarity
- Attention and Task Completion as related to Speech, Language, and Cognitive Concepts
The horse's movement also positively affects other areas which can impact speech and language:
- Body Awareness (Proprioception) and Balance
- Core Strength and Coordination (including Gross/Fine Motor Skills)
- Range of Motion
- Sensory and Self-Regulation Skills